Oyakodon literally means “parent and child donburi” because Oyako means parent and child and don comes from donburi which means a bowl. Parent and child and on top of that, a bowl? Yes, because they served chicken and eggs in a bowl (do you get it now?). Well, the one I made this morning maybe not the authentic recipe but I’m 100% sure that this oyako donburi that I made is extremely delicious and easy to make.
You only need
- Chicken breast (you can use chicken thigh if you want because it actually depends on your own preferences)
- Garlic cloves
- Shouyu (Japanese Soy Sauce)
- Salt and Pepper
- a bowl of hot rice
- You have to marinate the chicken first. Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and put the into a bowl
- Grate ginger and garlic and mix it with the chicken. it’s enough if you use 2 garlic cloves for 3 chicken breasts. For the ginger, just smell it. if your chicken already has the smell of ginger, then it’s enough.
- Pour ± 4 tbsp of soy sauce and ± 3 tbsp of mirin into the chicken. Don’t forget to add a pinch of salt and pepper
- marinate it for half an hour
- Cut and slice the onion
- For the sauce, just add 2 tbsp of soy sauce and 2 tbsp of mirin into a small bowl
- Add 1 tbsp of sugar into the sauce
- Prepare another bowl and mix 1 tbsp of cornstarch and water
- When the chicken is ready, pour oil into the pan and saute the onion.
- Add the marinated chicken into the pan and saute them until the chicken is cooked.
- After you sure that the chicken is cooked, pour the sauce into the pan and mix the thoroughly.
- Add pepper again if you want to
- add 1/2 cup of water and let it boil first
- Add the cornstarch and mix it again
- The important step is you have to taste it. if it is too salty, you can add a little amount of water, 1 tbsp mirin and a pinch of sugar.
- Just taste it again.
- For the eggs, just make the usual scramble eggs
You can serve it like this (without a rice) and add sliced leeks on top of it
or you can make the oyakodon. Just put rice in a bowl and add the scramble eggs and the chicken. Don’t forget to add the leeks!
The important thing is, you just have to taste it and taste it again.
I hope you can try to make this easy and tasty recipe too!